The tortoise for most people suggests slowness but also perhaps thoroughness.
It also in dreams signifies a shell that perhaps we – or others round us – have put up in order to protect or defend ourselves.
Click to Continue Related Dream Interpretation ▼
- Dream Tortoise (Psychological / emotional perspective)The tortoise may, of course, simply be an image of a pet as an object that is loved.It may also, however, be a symbol for long life.For those undertaking esoteric studies, the tortoise in dreams may signify the need to consider chinese systems of belief.
- Dream Tortoise In chinese lore the tortoise is a revered figure of wisdom and knowledge. He is said to carry the pattern of all existence on his back. He also represents creation. Consult the entries for chinese in indigenous peoples and pet as well as the information on reptiles in animals.
- Dream Hexagram When spiritually we attempt to reconcile two energies – the spiritual and the physical, or the active and the passive – we may experience that union in dreams in the form of patterns. One significant group of patterns are the hexagrams, said to have been discovered on a tortoise shell…
- Dream Shells (Material aspects)In dreams a shell represents the defences we use in order to prevent ourselves from being hurt. We can create a hard shell in response to previous hurt, or a soft shell, which would indicate that we are still open to being hurt.Shells were also once a unit of…
- Dream Glass (Material aspects)Dreaming of glass indicates the invisible but very tangible barriers we may erect around ourselves in order to protect ourselves from meaningful relationship with other people.They may also represent the barriers that other people put up and also be those aspects of ourselves that we have built up in…
- Dream Wadding (Material aspects)In dreams our need for security can become more noticeable than we allow it to be in ordinary, everyday life. Because wadding is normally a protective material, we may decide that we should take action to protect ourselves rather than defend ourselves.Also consult the entry for fat and packing.
- Dream Snail (Material aspects)The snail appearing in dreams may engender, because of its sliminess, a feeling of repulsion in some people.It does, however, also represent vulnerability and slowness, along with the type of apparent rootlessness seen in the wanderer.
- Dream Round Table (Material aspects)A round table in a dream is a symbol of wholeness.In mundane terms it can suggest negotiation, since it is used to allow everyone the opportunity to express an opinion.
- Dream Claws To dream of claws signifies feelings of vulnerability or hostility. You feel a need to defend or protect yourself or your surroundings.
- Dream Protect / Protection (Material aspects)When we have been made vulnerable in daily life our dreams will offer an image in order to help us deal with the problem.The mind has a habit of imaging the necessary type of protection needed.